June 6 - 10, 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm | Shocco Springs Conference Center
God doesn’t call us to follow the culture of the world; He has called us to be a part of His KINGDOM CULTURE.
Who | For all students who have completed 6th grade through completed 12th grade.
When | June 6-10, 2022. Meet at ChristWay Community Church at 12 PM on Monday, June 6. We will return by 4 PM on Friday, June 10.
Where | We will be staying at Shocco Springs Conference Center in Talladega, AL.
Students will be staying in the secluded Adventure Camp area which includes air-conditioned bunkhouse-style cabins, a dining hall, and worship center. The property also features a pool, a lake with water inflatables, miniature golf, basketball, volleyball, tennis, hiking and much more!
Shocco Springs Conference Center
1314 Shocco Springs Road
Talladega, AL 35160
Cost | $280
Deadline | Because capacity is limited, space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. As long as we have capacity, registrations will be taken until May 22.
TO SIGN UP
Sign up begins on April 24 and early registrations will not be accepted, but here’s what you will need to do:
- Download, print and complete the registration form.
- Turn in the registration form with payment at the Hub or the church office.
- Digitally sign the Shocco Springs Waiver.
- My child takes medicine. What do I need to do? Make sure you note any prescription or over-the-counter medications on your forms. Parents are encouraged to talk with our nurse regarding administration of medications (child is responsible to take medicine on their own, student needs to be reminded to take medicine each day, etc.). They will be available on Monday morning at registration.
- Can my student bring their phone? No. Students will not be permitted to have their phones. We want this week to be as free from distractions as possible. We are not allowing any electronics other than cameras. No, don’t try to tell me that your iPhone is just a camera.
- If my student doesn’t have a phone, how can I contact them? All leaders will have phones and the students can borrow them if they need to get in contact with you. At registration, we will give out cards with the numbers of the leaders going, so you can call their cabin leader and get in touch with them easily.
- How many students can go? We have a capacity limit for the amount of students that can go to camp. Our current capacity is 140 students but that number can increase based on how numbers divide up between girls’ and guys’ sign-ups.
- What adults are going? Adults who are experienced in and love working with teenagers. These are the adults who work with students each week at ChristWay. A background check has been conducted on each one, and all have been screened for theological soundness.
- How will students be transported to and from camp? We will be traveling by charter bus, rental vans and personal vehicles.
- What are the cabins like? Each cabin contains bunk beds to sleep 16 people, and there will be at least 2 adults in each cabin. Each cabin is air-conditioned and has its own bathroom with multiple showers, toilets, and sinks.
- How much money does my child need? ($10-$20) A canteen will be open each evening where Gatorade, juice, water, candy or a snack may be purchased for a nominal fee ($.50 -$1 each). You are also welcome to bring your own snacks but we ask you not to bring anything with nuts due to allergies. There are also snacks available at the pool but those prices are a bit higher. Please do not send bills larger than $5.
- What does a typical day at camp look like? Each day begins with a hearty breakfast and quiet time for devotions. Students will participate in a small group (based on age and gender) Bible study and an energetic time of worship before lunch. After lunch, students will have free time for recreation (swimming, basketball, volleyball, mini golf, active games, etc.) and then time to clean up. After dinner, students will participate in another small group study and another worship experience. After a short break, students then enjoy late night fun and then cabin devotions before crashing into bed!
- What if my child gets sick? On the medical release form that you complete, you may give authorization to our nurse to administer common, over –the-counter medications for minor illness (Pepto Bismol, Tylenol, etc.) For more serious illness or injury, you will be contacted immediately.
- What if my child has a food allergy? We have had several students with varying allergies travel with us to camp in the past and have yet to have a problem. You can help us by being very clear about any major allergies a student may have. LET US KNOW TODAY IF THIS IS AN ISSUE. The helpful food service people at Shocco do their best to accommodate.
- My child has an event that means he/she would have to come to camp late/leave camp early? Of course students will gain the greatest blessing if they are able to be a part of the entire week, but we don’t want your student to miss out on camp altogether, so they are welcome to participate for as much of the week as possible. Please understand that the full cost will apply, and parents are responsible for transportation to/from Shocco Springs. Please talk with Matthew Waters or Ben Patterson about this before camp so that arrangements can be made.
- Be on time for everything.
- Be respectful to adult leaders and other students at all times.
- Stay in your assigned living areas. No guys in the girls’ area or girls in the guys’ area.
- Focus on God, not the opposite sex. Couples are not couples during camp so you are free to experience what God is showing you without the distractions and you won’t have to worry about any PDA.
- Speech should be encouraging. No cursing or using Jesus’ or God’s name inappropriately.
- Observe and abide by all Lights Out times! You will need your beauty rest!
- Be in your designated area all the times. No wandering off. An adult should be fully aware of your exact location at all times.
- Wear clothes that are modest and respectful. Do not bring anything that you think may be questionable! Respectfully change or adjust your clothing if a leader asks you to.
- Keep your cabins clean!
- Failure to adhere to these guidelines may affect your eligibility to complete the week at camp and future ChristWay Student Ministry events. If this happens your parent/guardian will be responsible for your transportation home.
WHAT TO BRING
- Bible–after all, it really is about God. A pen would also be extremely useful!
- Clothes for Daytime: You’ll need clothes that you could wear while running around in the outdoors! That includes t-shirts (no bro tanks or strappy shirts), shorts (Ladies, no shorty shorts; we’re talking basketball or soccer shorts. If you choose to wear yoga pants or capris, you need to have a long shirt on.), and anything else that empowers you to move well!
- Clothes for Evenings: Normal evening camp wear includes shirts that are clean, shoes that don’t stink, shorts that are an appropriate length (if you aren’t sure if they are the proper length, don’t bring them), and shirts that are not tank tops. Think about what you normally wear to church on a summer Sunday and aim for that.
Disclaimer: Guys, we do not want to see your undies sticking out of your pants or your chests shining in the sun because your shirts are so low cut. Please maintain normal waist and chest coverage at all times. Ladies, we are too cool to be parading around like risqué art pieces. Keep what your momma gave you covered. *If there is ever an issue with what you are wearing, please do not be offended when a leader asks you to change. It’s not to hurt your feelings or make you look like an old geezer; we are simply maintaining an environment free from distraction.
- Swimwear–Girls should plan to wear a modest one-piece swimsuit or a tankini which fully covers the stomach (or you may choose to wear a dark T-Shirt over your swimsuit). Guys no Euro cut or speedos!
- Towels & Washcloths, Toiletry Items: Please do not forget your toothbrush or your deodorant!
- Bedding: Pillow & Sleeping Bag or Sheets & Blanket
- Miscellaneous: Insect Repellent, Sunglasses, Flashlight, Beach Towel, Sports Equipment (tennis racket, etc.)
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- Cell phone
- Other Electronic Devices—includes mp3 players, phonographs, Switches, DVD players, View finders, slide projectors, radios, gaming devices, etc. You’ll be so busy having fun, you won’t need them.
- Weapons of any kind, fireworks or stuff for pranks. Pranks are not acceptable.
- A Bad Attitude
WAYS TO KEEP UP WITH US AT CAMP
- Text “CWPARENTS” to 86677
- Follow us on Instagram @ christwaystudents
- Follow ChristWay Church on Facebook
- Grab a leader phone list at camp check-in on June 6.
Monday, June 6
|12:00 pm||Registration at ChristWay|
|1:00||Meeting in The Hub & Prayer|
|1:30||Depart for Camp|
|3:30||Arrive at Shocco Springs (CST)|
|5:45||All Guys & All Girls Meetings|
|8:30||Time with God|
|10:00||Late Night Canteen|
Friday, June 10
|8:30||Load Up All Luggage|
|9:30||Time with God|
|4:00 pm||Arrive at ChristWay (EST)|
HOW TO PRAY FOR CAMP
- Pray for students and leaders to be lost in the wonder that there is no one greater than Jesus our Savior!
- Pray for us that we would permanently lose the distractions in our lives that pull us away from Jesus!
- Pray that we would realize that the unmatched power of Jesus is on our side and that we need to trust Him to fight for us!
- Pray that students would experience the strength of God in such a way that they would cling to His unwavering Word and truth in both the good and in the bad times!
- Pray for Christ to raise up students who will live out their faith publicly everyday!
- Pray for students to connect to the Lord. Pray for Him to awaken those who are believers to His presence now. Pray for those who do not have a relationship with Christ that they will surrender their lives to Christ!
- Pray students will form bonds & friendships that go beyond surface acquaintances but that they will be joined as brothers and sisters in Christ.
- Pray for leaders to remain patient, to use discernment, invest fully in students and build relationships that will impact eternity.
- Pray for Jeff Cochran & ChristWay Worship as they lead us to the Truth of Christ each day during worship. Pray that they will share the Truth with boldness and clarity.